Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Blog Post #11

Things that stood out to me this semester


What to Look For in a Classroom- Alfie Kohn: This article provided a lot of advice on what a good and bad classroom looks like, there is a big emphasis on the environment in which students are learning. It brings awareness to how the classroom environment can affect student success and learning. This article is something I will definitely be coming back to when it is finally time to build my own classroom environment. 

Troublemakers- Shalaby: When reading this article I was able to connect it very well to my service-learning classroom. In this second-grade class, there is a student who, when looking from the outside in, seems like a troublemaker, I do not believe this to be his intention at all. He is a young boy with a lot of energy and does not know how to fully handle it, but what he gets for that is not understanding, instead, he gets kicked out of class and misses out on the lesson. This article explains how when students seem to be acting out it is not because they want to be troublemakers, but they usually have a specific reason.

Service Learning: My service learning experience was not ideal in terms of cultivating relationships with the students and being able to act as an asset in the classroom, but when I look past that I am still thankful for my experience there. The few times that I was able to use my skills to help students it was very rewarding, I never want to shy away from things that make me unique but that will also help the students in a classroom. An example of this is the ability to speak Spanish, when I first helped a student by translating what the teacher was saying he was so shocked that I spoke his language and he also seemed so relieved that there was someone who could not only understand him, but also help him understand. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #11

Things that stood out to me this semester What to Look For in a Classroom- Alfie Kohn: This article provided a lot of advice on what a good...